Declaration of Major

NTU Campus Will Be Closed on August 21, 2017

Navajo Technical University will observe the 2017 Solar Eclipse and has authorize all NTU personnel eight (8) hours of administrative leave on Monday, August 21, 2017. In addition, NTU students/faculty will be granted leave and will be scheduled to make up their class instruction hours on the following Friday, September 1, 2017.

More Information Here


Declaration of Major


All students shall identify a major in a certificate or degree program, unless they are identified as Non-Major. Those who plan to earn a certificate or degree from NTU will have met the program placement requirements and officially have declared their major (program of study).

Certificate Programs
Upon successful completion of a specific career program listed in the catalog, students will receive a certificate if they have passed all the required coursework, including general education requirements, earned the required credits, maintained a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better, and have satisfied any outstanding debt to the college.

Degree Programs
Students enrolled as degree candidates in one of the Associate or Bachelor degree programs will receive their degree if they pass all of the required coursework, including general education requirements, earned the required credits, maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better, and have satisfied any outstanding debt to the college.

  • Associate Degree
    • Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree:
      An AAS degree program prepares students to enter either skilled or paraprofessional occupations or to upgrade workplace skills and knowledge. An AAS program is not intended to transfer to a bachelor’s degree, although certain courses may be accepted at some institutions. The exception to this rule is when an AAS is used to enter a BAS program.

    • Associate of Arts (AA) Degree:
      An AA degree provides a foundation in general education including courses in mathematics, humanities and social sciences, communication, and natural sciences. Students may transfer their degree credits to a four-year institution to pursue a bachelor's degree in the arts or sciences.

    • Associate of Science (AS) Degree:
      An AS degree is an associate degree in the areas of science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM) or in an area of career technical education (CTE) such as Early Childhood Education.


  • Baccalaureate Degree
    • Bachelor of Arts (BA):
      Graduate and professional schools typically require a four-year BA or BS for admission. The curriculum of a traditional BA degree is centered on providing a well-rounded, liberal arts education. Students pursuing a BA are not required to have an associate's degree.

    • Bachelor of Science (BS):
      BS programs normally require a student to take the majority of their courses (usually 1/2 or 3/4) in the sciences, namely life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, or the mathematical sciences. Graduate and professional schools typically require a four-year BS or BA for admission. Students pursuing a BS are not required to have an associate's degree.

    • Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS):
      An undergraduate degree that focuses studies on an applied science with hands-on projects or fieldwork. A BAS degree is designed for students that work immediately after graduation; they are more focused on vocational subjects. Students pursuing a BAS degree normally build on an Associate of Applied Science degree.

Change of Major
Any student who wishes to change his/her major after registering will need to submit a Change of Major form to the Registrar. The student will be required to meet with the Career Counselor for a Career Interest Profile and the Financial Aid Officer for approval. No changes shall be allowed after the deadline for the last day to register for that semester. Changing a major could affect eligibility for student federal aid, for more info see the financial aid section of this catalog.

Enrollment Status

  1. Regular:  Regular admission is intended for the student seeking a degree or certificate at NTU. This includes students continuing from the previous semester who are in good standing and transfer students who are in good standing from their previous college/university.
  2. Provisional:  Students who are on Academic Probation or Suspension at other schools and have a cumulative grade point average(CGPA) less than 2.0; or students who do not have a high school diploma/transcript that indicate they have passed competencies required and opted to take 6 credit hours of courses as stated in the admission requirements.
  3. Transfer Student:  Any transfer student seeking admission to NTU who intends to work toward a degree or certificate from NTU should apply for regular admission. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges or universities. NTU accepts transfer credit for courses that have a grade of “C” or better and if an equivalent course is offered at NTU. No special topic classes will be accepted for transfer. A limit of 30 credit hours may be transferred toward an associate degree and a limit of 15 credit hours may be transferred toward a certificate program. Students in the bachelor degree program that request to have their courses transferred will have a limit of 60 credit hours eligible for transfer. The courses must be taken within the ten year time limit of admission into the college.
  4. Non-Major Status:  A student who does not want to earn a degree or certificate is classified as a non-degree/major student. Non-degree/major students may request to change to certificate/degree status and apply credits earned while in non-degree status by declaring a major. Note: Non-majors will not satisfy eligibility requirements for federal student aid, veteran’s educational benefits or other financial aid assistance.
  5. Concurrent Enrollment:  A student who is enrolled at NTU and also at another institute of higher learning should understand that federal student aid will be disbursed by only one Institution, but charged by each institution. Students should go to the Financial Aid Office to obtain more information about concurrent enrollment and financial aid.
  6. Dual Enrollment:  A student currently enrolled in high school and enrolled in one or more courses at NTU is considered to have dual enrollment. NTU has an agreement with various Secondary School Districts and negotiates the tuition and fees of participating students. Students need to obtain more information from their high school counselor. Otherwise students may opt to make payment for NTU courses at the Business Office.


About NTU



Campus Life



Welcome to Navajo Technical University. Navajo Tech is committed to offering quality technical, vocational, and academic degrees, and community education in student oriented, hands-on learning environment based on the Dine Philosophy of Education. Our primary campus is located in Crownpoint, New Mexico; two Arizona instructional sites in Chinle and Teec Nos Pos are growing rapidly!